Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oliver update....

I knew I wanted a dog and after meeting Steve I knew I wanted a greyhound. I didn't know I would fall deeply madly head over heels in love in less then a week.
When things weren't working with Wildcat I thought perhaps we had made the wrong choice bringing a dog into our family. However I felt compelled, if only because we had already invested so much money, to try another dog.
*Enter Oliver stage left*
I was so wary that this match wouldn't work either but I was right to trust Jeanette's judgment. Oliver (Rogue Villain "Rebel") was meant to be our dog. He is sweet and kind and loving. The other morning when he was me he wagged his tail! I thought I had died and gone to heaven. We have our share of daily challenges, Gil and I being first time dog owners are learning a whole new game. Oliver can be mind blowingly stubborn but I think that our classes will help all three of us learn to communicate better.
He is also afraid of pretty much everything including the cats (yay), the wind, traffic noise, the hardwood floors (oh dear!) and shadows but we are working everything out.
We have had two small accidents. A pee in his crate because he refused to leave it to be let out for a bathroom break the first day. And a poop on my mom's kitchen floor. That was our fault, we missed the signs. My sisters made me feel much better by telling me that when their dogs had done the deed it had been on the carpet.
On Monday he had two firsts (with us), a trip in the car which we were nervous about but he was a DREAM. As well he had a fairly large social gathering with my whole family including my three sibling's dog. He was AWESOME. He was nervous at first but quickly warmed up and was the center of attention all day. He was particularly fond of my 94 year old, stone deaf grandfather who knows none of us anymore but was very smitten with Oliver.
Today we celebrated a whole week together by taking an extra long walk at Shubie park and hitting Three Dog Bakery for some treats. Right now he is passed out cold in his crate but he seems very very happy.

No comments: