Saturday, May 22, 2010

I had a bit of a rough day for a lovely, sunny Saturday of a long weekend. I have been up in my own head after a bit of a crank with an old friend. We were supposed to spend sometime together this weekend. She was coming over here and we were going to do some yard work and drink some wine, she was going to spend the night. We were going to BBQ and talk girl talk. We do this every two months or so because she complains that we never spend quality time together. She gets jealous that I spend more time with other friends. So I put aside special time just for her. Today she wanted to know if she could bring her 9 year old daughter with her for our over night.She didn't have a sitter. I told her honestly that I thought the better plan would be to do it again another day. I should have known when I answered honestly that I was just asking for trouble. She seemed incensed. I had very logically reasons for not wanting her to bring the kid along. First of all... it wasn't the plan. If she brought her daughter to my house for 24 hours she would have to spend all her time entertaining the child. This isn't a slight against the kid the fact is ours is a grown up house, we have very little in the way of entertainment for a 9 year old. We don't have a tv, there are no kids to play with. I don't have toys. I am not letting her use my laptop (yeah yeah I'm a meany but the kid has a history of breaking computers) this is not the environment to entertain a kid that long... not AND hang out with me and do all the things we wanted to do. So I thought it would be better for ALL of us if we just rescheduled. It made the most sense. But of course it pissed her off. She took it as a slight. She said her feelings were hurt. I said she could come and bring the kid, I just didn't think she or we would have a great time. She opted not to come. Yet somehow I feel like I am the bad guy.
Am I?

No comments: