Monday, May 24, 2010

The May 2-4!

We have had such a great weekend here on the hill top. Granted nothing went exactly as planned but we had a lot of fun. We saw lots of good friends. We BBQed a bunch. We geeked out big time. I got actual work done in the garden. I am doing battle with an old, sprawling, possibly evil flowering quince. It mean it is huge and cranky and I am pretty sure it is going to take all summer to dig it out. I don't have anything against quince in general, they are actually a lovely shrub most of the time. But this one, this is the un-loveliest quince of all
time. This is the before shot. I mean really, look at that thing. It is mangy.
I have never liked it but I didn't know how or when to take it out. With the driveway and retaining wall still incomplete I thought that this was the perfect time. I can't wait for this damn driveway project to be finished, it has been going on for SO long now. When we bought this house I was so in love with the garden but it became so overwhelming to maintain. It has really gotten ratty but THIS year I am reclaiming it. I am making it mine! This weekend was a good start. I know I won't get it all in one summer but I have to start. Otherwise we are going to be THOSE people with THAT yard. I don't want that. It doesn't have to be perfect, it won't look like a magazine but it will be mine.

No comments: