Saturday, September 24, 2005

THe CHurch of the Flying spaghetti Monster

This is so funny I almost peed myself when I first read this but now I am converted! I am a true Pastafairan. This is one of the many reasons I really love the internet. Internet will you marry me? Anyway back to FSM... I read some funny emails on this site and also some very disturbing ones. There are always people out there who take things too seriously and this is no difference. Bobby Henderson may have been trying to make a point to the Kansas school board, or he may have been sitting in front of his computer bored one day and come up with the creative, funny outlet, I don't think it matters in the end WHY he wrote what he did as much as that he did and that is his bushiness. Why on earth would ANYONE wish him ill for this? Why would people make threats against him, wish his genitals shrivel up, or damn him to hell? It worries me more then I can tell you that anyone would really be so threatened my this lovely, funny and creative internet phenomenon that they would actually wish a person harm. There is a problem in this world and it is one that I, as a Christian, find more unsettling all the time.
"You are an idiot. I'll pray for you."
"Those of us who know the truth are only saddened that you are doings Satans work"
These are actual comments from ACTUAL emails sent to Bobby Henderson by so called Christians.
Somewhere along the way Christianity got lost and that is so sad. Having a belief system that works for YOU does not entitle you to shove it down the throat of other people, nor does it entitle you to sit in judgment of others. The fundamental message of Christ's teachings was BE GOOD TO EACH OTHER. Not be good to those who you feel worthy. Why is it that so many people remember "I am the way and the truth and the life..." but they can't remember "Love thy neighbour as thyself..."
I am not trying to pass myself off as the worlds best Christian, I am a seriously flawed human being (aren't we all?) and I am a TERRIBLE Catholic ( I have only been to mass once this year and that we in an effort to suck up to sweet Babbo's Mother), however there are certain tenants I hold and will not sacrifice.
I believe that everyone is entitled to live the life, the faith, they choose without being rideculed, harrased, threatened or bullied. I believe that no one Religion is right for everyone. I believe that every person is entitled to choose his or her own way in life without being told that they are damed to burn in hell. I believe in being nice to people, even people who don't always seem to deserve it (years of customer service taught me this, not church). I believe it is much worse to condem a man to burn in hell then to create a website (that no one FORCED you to visit) that explores, even in satire, an alternate belief system. Okay so you read the Open Letter Bobby Henderson wrote and you didn't agree with what he said, or you thought it was goofy, or stupid, or maybe you REALLY believe deep down inside that his everlasting soul is in jepordy, is that justification to be mean? There is something wrong with that. There is something wrong in believeing that a religion that teaches love would support this kind of hate. And I am just talking about one silly website. I haven't even touched serious social issues like smae sex marriage or birth control. And today I am not going to. Today I am going to go back to reading about FSM and laughing at the funny, creative writing. Have a good day.... Be nice to each other.


No comments: