Monday, December 15, 2008

Love thy neighbour.....

Gil and I were having a great talk the other day about the meaning of the holidays and the basics of religion and her reminded me of the wise words of Bill and Ted... "Be excellent to each other!" And At the day isn't that what it is all about? And not just at Christmas time either. I mean how hard is it? Actually it can be hard, lets be honest, some people are hard to be nice to. But in general isn't important that we try... really hard? Isn't it important?
I was listening to CBC radio in the car on the way to work yesterday and there was a message left on their voice mail by a man who was responding to their annual food drive program (which was a great success btw) anyway this man was railing about donating food to the food bank saying that is was wrong, that in doing so people were letting the government get away with not doing it's job in taking care of the poor. Yes the government should help people but it can't be left solely in the hands of bureaucrats. Isn't it our job as humans to look after each other? Shouldn't it be the mandate of all human beings to take care of those in need? I bought 4 extra containers of honey last week because I wanted to bonus air miles! For goodness sake don't I owe it to the world to share some of my wealth? This is not to say that I am wealthy, but if I can afford to buy 4 jars of honey I can certainly spare one or two for someone else.
I do have more to say about this but at the moment I am all worked up so I am going to go relax and think about something nice. I'll be back.

No comments: