Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thoughts on Las Vegas - Part One

As you may know Gil and I had a unique experience this summer which came in the form of a mostly free trip to Las Vegas Nevada. It was one of the weirdest experiences of my life and at the same time it was totally amazing. I have never in my life been any place warmer then summer in Nova Scotia. Well, that is not exactly true, I did spend some very hot summers in Ontario as a child but you get the picture, I have never been anywhere hot.
There was nothing on earth that could prepare me for the heat that we encountered in the desert of Nevada. Sure there is air conditioning all over the place but there was no avoiding being outside altogether. The coolest temperatures I saw while we were there were when I woke up each day at 4am (my awful inability to get off Atlantic time). At 4am most days it was roughly 25 degrees celsius. Yup before the sun rose it was was already a hot summer Halifax day.
The first day we were there we decided to walk to the Bellagio for lunch, it was about mid day and it was probably 45 degrees outside. We had no idea what we were in for. The Strip is not that long really but in that heat it felt like forever, by the time we got to our destination we were both hot, nauseous and cranky. It was a real learning experience. After that we never left the hotel without water, we always had hats and we learned pretty fast the best ways to get around without having to go outside. We also learned that the best thing you can do for yourself is to take some time to relax during the hottest parts of the day. Lots of people made use of the the many pools that litter the strip, I did go up to our pool but I could not bring myself to go in. The pool was the one place where the Vegas was just like the Vegas of TV. It was a spawning ground for incredibly beautiful people, a land of boob jobs and bikinis. I never felt so un in my whole life. However we did have a HUGE bath tub so when we needed to cool down we would go back fill the enormous tub with cool water and just chill out (pardon the pun) for half an hour or so. It sincerely made me feel like a new person.
People keep asking me how Vegas was and my first response is always about the heat. It made a serious impression on me. Next time I will talk about something else I promise.

No comments: