Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Despite my best efforts the universe seems to be conspiring to make me realize that I am an adult. It had been creeping up on me in a stealthy kind of way; first there was the wedding and then the home ownership. Those clues should have tipped me off. Then there was the financial advisers, the lawyer, the will and the debt. All very subtle hints that I was entering the world of grown-ups. I dug my heals in grasping on to the vestiges of my carefree adolescence (HA! Like I had one of those) by pawning all the adult stuff on Gil. Really he is three whole years older then me, all the grown up stuff is his and I am merely along for the ride.But today that illusion was shattered. Today my boss gave me a monumentally adult task to perform and I was terrified. But you know what? It was alright, in fact it was even kind of fun. It felt good to be trusted with a grown-up job. I even think that I handled myself with a certain amount of grace and self-assuredness. Maybe 35.5 is an okay time to start to feel like joining the adult community... at least from 9-5.

No comments: