Sunday, July 11, 2010

My first restaurant review!

Gil and I are card carrying members of the Breakfast Club. Ok so there are no cards and we are the only two members but we LOVE breakfast and on the weekends we really enjoying going out `doing brunch`. The thing is we have found ourselves going to the same spots over and over and having the same things over and over and we got bored. So we started a list. The Breakfast Club List! It has been growing and changing and things are broken down into categories. It is a great list and today we decided to put it to use. We were *going* to hit the Coastal Cafe but the plan changed due to rain and laziness (sorry again Sara!) and we ended up down the road at Mary's Place Cafe. 

I had been to Mary's a couple of times in my youth but let me tell you it was a completely different animal. According to my husband, who knows a lot of stuff about stuff, the universe is governed by some pretty basic and fundamental rules, like gravity, the second law of thermodynamics and the rule of three. The rule of three states that in the food service industry you get good, fast and cheap but you can ONLY have two of them. Good and cheap, fast and cheap, good and fast.... you see where I am going? Well Mary's, according to my very smart husband, breaks the universe. Because they honestly had all three!! We sat right away. The placed was busy but not packed, a nice diverse crowd which I always find a good sign. The menus were already on the table which I love because it meant when the lovely waitress came over we already knew what we wanted. The owner of Mary's is Syrian so there is a lot of Middle Eastern flare to the menu, which again I just love. But there were LOADS of healthy options for example turkey bacon and whole wheat flat bread. As well there were tonnes of vegetarian/vegan choices, not that I am but I  still inclined to go veg more often for health reasons. My eye was immediately drawn to the Middle Eastern  breakfast and WOO was I pleased with my choice! 



What you see is baked eggplant and tomato on a whole wheat flat bread with an egg topper. OH MY GOD! The eggplant and tomato was pretty spicy and I definitely had some heart burn afterward but it was worth it. Every mouthful was pure bliss. The eggs were done perfectly; runny yolks but no runny whites. The home fries were hot and crispy. 











Just another shot to show you the perfection of the eggs. I am a little funny about my eggs. Some might even say I am fussy but I likes what I likes.










Gil opted for the "Healthy Choice" breakfast which featured the turkey bacon, whole wheat toast and rather then home fries a kind of potato pancake. It looked a little boring but once I tried a bite I was sold. It was likely they best thing we had, and that is saying something.


It seemed to be made from mashed potato and hosted a variety of other veg but what was truly great about it was the light curry flavor. I am telling you breakfast might never be the same again!


The service was super friendly and REALLY fast, we were in and out in half an hour. Even better was the price. Two full breakfasts and two cups of coffee for $15. We left full and happy and will most certainly be making the trek over the bridge to go back again. I recommend you do too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! We'll have to try it out, sounds great!

Beatnik Mary said...

I wanna go! I wanna go! I've been meaning to try that place for YEARS (I like the name) but now I absolutely MUST!
Also, a food blog? Pictures of food and descriptions of your adventures? This may truly be your calling, Meghan! Keep it up!!