Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Bugger....

So if you are friends with me on facbook then it is no shock when I tell you that I have lately been having a very hard time at work. I am very unhappy there, very very unhappy. I don't know what to do. It is not a good time, economically speaking to go hunting for another job. I keep thinking if I can just tough it out until I go on parental leave when we finally get an adoption and then we can re-visit the issue. But I don't know if I can hold out that long. Every day is worse then the one before and I get a deep feeling of sadness in my chest when I think about going to work. Not fear, not panic,but sadness and dread. It shouldn't be like this. We spend so much of our lives working. Shouldn't it be.... shouldn't it not make you sad. I feel like every thing else in my life is in such a good spot but work is this dark cloud that is casting a shadow on everything. This is not a good way to live. So what do I do? Where do I go from here? I can't quit without somewhere to go. But I don't want to head to another dead end sales job. I don't know what else I am qualified to do. I am lost. I need guidance.

1 comment:

The Blognostifier said...

When I quit my job, I had nothing lined up. I just couldn't take it anymore and I made the plunge. I called it leaping out of a plane and hoping to meet a parachute salesman on the way down.

I did meet a parachute salesman, but it took a little longer than I thought it would. But on the other hand, the few months have been OUTSTANDING.

There's been stress, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision. Having my wife behind me 100% really made the difference though. I couldn't have done it without her understanding and support.

And every day that I didn't get a job that I applied for? Even then it wasn't half as bad as going into a situation where I could feel a little more of my soul being ground away.

It's not always as simple as staying or leaving. I tried to make my situation better, but to no avail. My advice is that if you've truly given your best shot at making things better and it didn't work, you gotta find something different. Maybe it's a new hobby, maybe it's a new job, but you gotta make a choice to get a better position in life.

Dang, that was deeper than I thought it would be.