Sunday, January 18, 2009

Some more adoption talk .....

I am sorry if this is getting boring but it is so heavy on my mind and in our lives at the moment. One of the major things round in my head is the pros and cons of transracial adoption. Actually I hate the term pro and cons here. But I can't find a better way of expressing myself at the moment. When I think of a better way to say it I will. I have been talking with our social worker. I have also been reading lots of books and blogs (as always) and of course Gil and I have been doing a LOT of talking. I have worries about our abilities to pass a cultural competence test.
Just as I have no preference for the gender of our child, I have no preconcived idea about the colour of his or her skin, the racial or ethnic background. I am prepared to integrate his or her life experience into ours, to become a truly blended family. But I can't see us as appearing anything other then white and nerdy. We really don't have connections to ANY community other then the geek community and that is very prominently white. I am willing to what I have to do for my child.
What I mean to say is that I don't know how to become culturally competent basically from scratch. At this point I should tell you I am very embarrassed and I am afraid that everything that come out of my mouth (or fingers) sounds completely moronic. So how does someone like me who has had very minimal experience with the African Nova Scotian community go from a dork walking on egg shells to a confidant, competent parent? I know this is a very BROAD question. But as I said I think it very important to address because I do want to have all the doors open for Gil and I and believe that our child is out there and I don't want the possibility of a match to be limited my my ignorance. Is it possible for a person or a couple to BECOME culturally competent or is it a you either are or aren't kind of thing?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hello! I saw that you were one of my followers off my blog. I wanted to encourage you that YES you can become culturally aware and competant! Think about interracial marriages- the mingling of two races to create one family. Both parties have to learn about each other throughout the process. That is what family does! Please email me anytime if you have any specific questions and thank you for tuning into my blog all the way from Canada!