Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh I love being right. This Saturday was awesome. A trip to the salon for a much desired wax. Breakfast with my hubby. Hours of hanging out with Aimee playing Sing Star. Amazing dinner with Terry and Sarah. Now I am snuggled down in my comfy bed under the covers ('cause it is DAMN cold in here, we need to do something about the insulation up here!) and I am listening to tunes on my iHome which was a birthday gift from my amazing husband. I thought I was ready for bed but then my brain started ticking away so I thought I might as well write.
Tonight I am doing a practice run with PJ's. I know that must sound so strange but I need to train myself to get used to it before we get a kid. I am going to try and convince Gil to do the same thing. I mean there may come a day when we will be comfortable sleeping in the buff, but with an older child coming into our home I think the safest, most responsible thing to do is be appropriately clothed as often as possible. For the first while it is going to be a lot like living with a stranger and we don't want to make him or her uncomfortable. Also the social worker might have something to say about it. In the same vein I also need to start peeing with the bathroom door closed. These are learned behaviors and it is never too soon to get started on them. I am pretty good with most things if I get in to the habit. I know I might be crazy for putting so much thought and energy into this at this stage in the game but I HAVE to think positive and be constructive with our time or I will go crazy.
I had lots of chat this past week with our social worker, looking for things that we (I) can be doing in this time to make things easier, to make us better candidates. So I have been in touch with the guidance councilor at our local elementary school to see what programs they have for children with challenges. That went really well and I got an email back from him two days later with a really good description of the extensive programs and resources they have available. SCORE.
I also made an appointment to go to the lawyer next week to have our will drawn up. This one cheeses me off a bit. I mean I know SO MANY people who don't have a will. Plus once we have a child we are just going to have an amendment to add them. But I have wanted a will anyway so this is a good enough reason to get it done.
We also have a fire escape plan now. In fact we have a fire escape plan the was done up with the aid of a real life fireman! He also tested all of our smoke alarms (all 5! of them) and put dates on them to show when they were tested! He was awesome, it is so good to have well connected friends. But seriously.... can you imagine if a parent was not allowed to leave the hospital with their new baby until they could prove they had a fire escape plan and adequate extinguishers?!! No one would have kids. But I don't mind jumping through the hoops. We made our choice and we stick by it and for now we place our faith in the system. In my life the system has actually really worked in my favour and I have to trust it again. With any luck they will see how hard we are working at this and give is all the gold stars and a child of our own to love. If not we will have the safest house on the block.
Tomorrow I am going to finish the painting in the dinning room. I feel really good about that because it has been my project and I want to have something to actually cross off my list. That is the thing about owning a house, the list NEVER gets any shorter. But it still feels really good. I still get the tummy wiggles every time we pull in the driveway. I love that.
Okay I am finally starting to feel a little sleepy so it is time for me to say good night. Play safe!

No comments: