Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 12 - in which I am filled with gratitude

Well you may have noticed that I missed a day. I am so naughty but not really sorry because I was having pretty much the best day of my adult life and I thought "hey, people are totally going to understand if you don't stop having the best day ever to write!" and I am sure I was right.

What a big weekend we had. I drove more that 500km myself. Twice I asked Gil to take over when I was too tired or hungry to have sound judgement and he drove back to the inn after dinner last night so I could have some drinks, and boy did I!! It was so much fun, I can't remember the last time I feel in to bed drunk, exhausted and giddy but it has been a LONG time.
I loved all the driving and I did things I ever dreamed I could do from passing cars on the highway to confidently bopping down a twisty back country road to driving the car on and off a ferry. It was incredible.

On top of the driving I also ate more incredible food in a weekend than many people do in a life time. I am telling you I was spoiled. Utterly, completely spoiled.

Surrounded by beauty at every turn, eating better than the Queen of Sheba, with my best friend who also happens to be my lover and my partner on this crazy journey of life, I realized how incredibly blessed I am. I mean really, my life could have turned out SO much different. I don't know if it is luck or hard work that got me here but it was not the path I was on and now even at my most stressful times I can look around me and see that I have just about everything I have ever wanted. I think that my mother would be happy to see me where I am today, I think that she would be proud of the human that I have become and at the end of the day that is what I want to measure my success by. I look at my brothers and myself and I see that we are all cool, fun, loving people and it makes me sigh the big breath of relief. I did it, we did it. We got to be happy, healthy adults. We have great relationships with each other and with our friends. I am overwhelmed with gratitude that the three of us have this.
Okay this post has turned all sappy but it is because I am well rested, well fed and feeling both sentimental and grateful for the abundance in my life.
Now it is time for a hot bath and a cup of tea while I read my book in my own bed because everyone knows the very best part of going away is coming home again.

No comments: