Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 22 - The Silence Project - Round 2

What a difference a few hours makes!


Today I did step two of my silence project; 5 hours! I have to tell you it was a totally different ball game. I don't know if it was because of the sheer length of time, the fact that it is the middle of the week or that there are so many more people about at the moment but this was a totally different beast.
To start with I wanted to start right at the end of my work day so I didn't have to stay up too late writing my recap which means really I started even before I left the office. I explained to my boss what I was doing and she was totally cool but I was really self conscious while I waited the 10 mins. for my drive to arrive.
My next challenge was that I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner. Likely the ladies who I encountered thought I was either really shy or I didn't speak English but they did look at me a little closer when I only answered their questions with a nod or shake of my head.
At home I was greeted by my 14 year old nephew who was bound and determined to push me until I spoke to him. I let him read what I wrote for round 1 and eventually he stopped but it was very frustrating. Also we have a house guest staying with us for a few weeks and I had given her a heads up but there were still a few moments where my gestures were not getting the job done.I did notice that people started talking less after I really wasn't going to answer. Our house guest is a very chatty, sweet girl and I did notice that as the evening progresses she was using more gestures and less words.
I also noticed that Gil, without my prompting, will not just randomly volunteer to information to me. We usually discuss our work day in the drive home and tonight he was content to sit in silence with me for the most part.
I did not spend anytime feeling like I was acting like a person in silence and I didn't spend a whole lot of time focusing on what I was going to write beyond making mental notes that I wanted to remember X or Y to share with you. Honestly I was too busy just getting stuff done to really enjoy the side effects of the silence, however I did enjoy a nice glass of wine out on the deck in the sun and I got a lot of stuff done around the house because I wasn't wasting my time on Facebook.
I find it interesting that I have been done for half an hour and I have uttered a grand total of 4 words "Man that was tough!". I think it is difficult to just launch back into conversing when you have stopped for a while. I cannot imagine what it will be like after a whole weekend.
Finally I should tell you that I did break the silence once, not a word but a loud exclamation of pain as I fell getting out of the bathtub. It was entirely  a reflex to scream out and I don't think it really counts.
Over all I am proud of my effort but I hope that next time I can be more mindful of the quiet.

No comments: