Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 25 - In which I learn a lesson from Billy Crystal

Last night I was feeling pretty miserable. I was tired and cranky and I was done with this long ass week. We got home from being out much too late to find that a certain almost 4 year old had been playing in our room and moved stuff around, which normally wouldn't bug me, but being tired and mopey I just broke. I was laying in bed and taking advice from one of my favorite all time movies, When Harry Met Sally,  I just laid there and started to moan.

Sally: Will you be able to sleep?
Harry: If not I'll be OK.
Sally: What will you do?
Harry: I'll stay up moan. May be I should practice now.
(moans....)
Sally: Goodnight Harry.
Harry: Goodnight.

(Both hang up the phone)

(Sally's light is out)

(Harry keeps moaning... and eventually lights out)
 
 
I was doing a pretty decent job of moaning and feeling sorry for myself and I think that 
Harry would have been pretty proud of me but the problem was my dear husband who is
woefully ignorant about all things Harry and Sally. 
It seems that my carrying on led him to believe I was either deep in distress or having some
kind of stroke.  I decided that for his sake I would stop my impression but I have to admit up 
'til then I was finding the moaning very therapeutic. 
Honestly I think that sometimes we are so frightened to express our negative emotions we forget
that they do actually server a purpose. Not that I think we should DWELL 
but I do think we should express is some form, writing, painting, punching pillows, primal 
screaming or laying in bed and doing our best impression of Billy Crystal. 
What ever gets the dark out so that it doesn't become stagnant and fowl. 
Frustration and disappointment, fatigue and stress these are parts of life. You take the bad with 
the good but learning how to deal with it, that makes all the difference in the world.
I don't know where this sage wisdom is spring from but I am going to give Billy the credit. 
Thanks Billy. 
"Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash."
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally get the moaning. And When Harry Met Sally. Moan away. It is therapeutic. But whatever you do, keep writing... :) kathryn