Thursday, June 02, 2011

Day 2 - "... Gil won't know 'til the mourning."


Would you like some insight to how my brain works? I warn this is a little bit like Morpheus offering you the red pill or the blue pill, the only exception being that I could never EVER pull off those cool armless glasses that Morpheus wear, I would lose them in about thirty seconds; unless I stapled them to my face, but how uncool would I look with staples and blood all over my face?
Okay back to red pill/blue pill proposition, here is the turning point, walk away now with your curiosity unsatisfied but with all your mental faculties intact (I am presuming a lot aren’t I?) or follow me down the rabbit whole.
If you are still with be at this point I say Bravo! You deserve a treat. Are there cookies in your kitchen? Maybe some ice cream in the fridge? Go dig in with my blessing; I am proud to (almost) know you.
If you are from my neck of the woods than you know that last night we had one hell of a thunder and lightning extravaganza. It certainly does not compare to what our neighbours to the south in Massachusetts endured and my thoughts go out to those who lost their homes and worse their loved ones, last night. Nonetheless we were walloped by a storm the likes of which I have never seen before and while in general I find the shock and awe of lightning fun last night I was actually pretty scared. It was coming so close to our house it shook our bed. I could see tear of light streak across the sky and hear the sizzle of the ozone burning before the thunder had time to clap. At one point is struck so close that our bed moved and I was fairly certain it had either hit our house or our car and so investigation was required. Fortunately our home and property all seemed to be spared but I could feel lingering electricity in the air. It is possible that I am crazy. I should get that out there right now. But as I lay back down in bed I SWEAR I could feel the charge in the air, the tickle of it dancing on my skin. And of course this worried me.  As Gil drifted back to sleep beside me, my secret alter ego, Morbid Meggy, was just getting going.  
Morbid Meggy is the insomniac who worries that at 36 she may have as little as 40 good years left and what the hell good can you do with 40 years?? Morbid Meggy whispers sweet nothings about my mother dying at 44 and how at 36 she also thought she had 40 good years left. She also thinks that 2am is the perfect time to remind me that if I don't get off my ass and lose some weight I will likely follow my mom to an early grave. 
Last night MM started off a bit goofy; worrying about getting electrocuted by lightning ... in bed and even I was able to scoff at that. But then her idea became increasingly nefarious and my sleep deprived brain started to follow her "logic". I could feel the electricity in the air, I was SURE of it. And if I could feel it on my skin what was to stop it from entering my body? And if it gets in my body my poor heart, with all the stress of being over weight and having high blood pressure, will explode and I will die of a massive coronary. I will die in the blink of an eye right here in the bed where Gil and I make sweet sweet love and he will be soundly sleeping right next to my corpse and he won't even know it 'til morning. 'til morning. 'til morning... click...morning... click... mourning. He won't even notice until mourning. And suddenly I am in bed, laughing my ass off at this ridiculous play on words and drifting off to a fitful sleep filled with dreams of burning ozone.

No comments: